In this mini-episode, Christy and Eva discuss two summer recipes to try out as we enter this new season! We’ll be back to the program with longer podcasts in the coming weeks.
Whole Grain Summer Salad
One 8.8 oz package Farro, Barley, Quinoa, or Wild Rice
8 oz cherry tomatoes, sliced in quarters
8 oz olives (kalamata or green), sliced in half
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
2 oz fresh arugula
5 oz fresh feta cheese, crumbled
Handful of torn cilantro, parsley, or chives
Juice of one lemon
1/4 cup olive oil
Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Cook your grain according to the package instructions. Fluff, drain, and cool accordingly. A fast and easy way to do this is to spread your grain out on a parchment-lined baking sheet; more surface area = less cooling time.
- Once your grain has fully cooled, transfer to a large serving bowl. Add tomatoes, olives, onions, arugula, feta cheese, and herbs. Gently stir to distribute ingredients.
- Squeeze the juice of one lemon over the salad, drizzle with olive oil, season to taste, and lightly toss to evenly coat each piece.
- Serve immediately alongside grilled chicken or vegetables.
Peach & Tomato Salad (adapted from Eva’s mom’s recipe)
2 very ripe peaches
2 ripe tomatoes (preferably local!)
A few leaves of fresh basil or mint
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp sea salt
- Wash the peaches and tomatoes, and once pitted/cored, slice vertically into thin (1/4 inch or so) slices. Place in medium bowl.
- Sprinkle salt, lemon juice and the basil or mint on top of the fruit.
- Arrange on a plate and enjoy!